Group Ride Signals & CallsWork together to keep safe
Raising and lowering your hand as shown in the image or raise your arm up high for other riders to see.
Pointing down at the road with a circling motion to indicate an obstruction, pothole or drain cover etc.
Indicates there is an obstruction such as a parked car or pedestrian and that the whole group needs to move in the direction indicated to avoid it.
Front riders should make the rest of the group aware of hazards such as:
- Pot Holes
- Approaching Vehicles (Car up)
- Other cyclists
- People walking dogs
- Provide a refuge for passing cars by splitting into smaller units where appropriate
- Calling Single out / Single up
- Slowing and stopping call as well as signal
Riders at the rear of the group should call out for:
- Vehicles approaching from the rear (Car Back)
- Vehicles coming through
- Calling Single out / Single up to ensure the group is riding in single file where necessary
Riders in the group
- Please pass along shouts so others are aware of what is happening at either end of the group
- Please let riders adjacent to you know if you wish to slot in between them, by pointing to the position you wish to take (wait for a nod or verbal acknowledgement before doing so)
- There may be occasions where you need to let riders in front of you know where you are in relation to them – do this by shouting – inside, if you are on the left of the rider, or outside, if on the right